Monday, May 16, 2011

The Four Key Things

In my courses, I strive for 4 key things.

1. I want you to believe "I can do it".

2. I want you to have some clue about the direction and what you want to do.

3. I want you to be scared. Yes, scared. At least some.

4. "If you wait for perfection, you might wait too long." So, don't wait. Start now.

Why scared? Well, I want lean-agile-scrum to be so important, so good, so useful in your opinion, that you are anxious that you won't do it well enough. You know you don't know enough to do it perfectly. While it is simple, yet it is complex. You know it is hard. And yet, you still do it.

So, you can see that balancing 1 & 3 is hard.

Of course, you know the definition of courage. It is: Doing something even though you are afraid. If you do something with no fear, then there is no courage. You might be overly-confident, or you might be foolhardy. But you are not courageous.

And I know you have courage.

Let me end with two Yogi-isms. (Yogi Berra, that is.)

When asked "what time is it?", he answered: "You mean now?"

He also said: "The future ain't what it used to be."
I like to think he had become more optimistic. With every mistake we must surely be learning.

No comments: